Access to Medical Records
The practice often receives requests for copies of a patients medical records. These may be from a patient, their carer/guardian or a legal company they have instructed on their behalf.
The process to request a copy of a patients medical records is;
- Ask at reception (or download and print) an access form entitled Access to Medical Records
- Ensure that the form is fully completed, using a separate sheet of paper if necessary, and return it together with the fee of £10 (non-refundable) and some ID.
- Where copy records are required an additional fee will be payable which will not exceed £50 (including the £10 fee above)
- Your request will be considered and you will be advised of the decision within 21 days.
- If your records are released you will be advised that they are ready to collect from the surgery in paper format.
The process differs slightly for solicitors and other legal bodies requesting patient records either as instructed by the patient, or by legal order. For more information on this please refer to the practice policy which may be requested from the practice.
Please click here to view the complete Access to Medical Records Policy